Schools Starts Soon! Get Prepared

Lizbeth Potts, P.A.Lizbeth Potts, P.A. Tampa Attorney Legal Articles

back to school


Tampa Bay Legal ServicesNot only does school start soon, but many people need to get their children registered. What does a parent need to get a child enrolled in a Florida school?

If you are a parent, an extended family in temporary custody of a minor child, a guardian to a school aged child, and you live in Hillsborough County, this is important information that you will need in order to properly a register a child into school.

According to the Hillsborough County School policies the following is what is necessary to make sure that you have a smooth enrollment experience:

If your child is initially enrolling or coming from a Florida school, you will need:

  1. The child’s report card or a copy of their transcript from the last school attended
  2. Verification of your address (TWO of the following):
    a. Property tax receipt
    b. Current electric bill
    c. Contract showing you are buying a home in the country in which you want to enroll your child
    d. The child's immunization(shot) records
  3. The child’s certified birth certificate
  4. Child’s immunization (shot) records

If your child is coming from a private school or from a school outside of Florida, you will need:

  1. Proof of a physical exam by an approved license health care provider, or the Hillsborough County Health Dept (within the last 12 months)
  2. The child’s report card or transcript from the last school attended
  3. Verification of your address- see above under “2”
  4. Child’s birth certificate, which can be verified by one of the following:
    a. Certified copy of birth certificate
    b. Baptismal certificate showing date of birth, place of baptism, with parents’ sworn affidavit
    c. Insurance policy on the child in force for at least 2 years
    d. Bible record of child’s birth accompanied by a sworn affidavit of the parents
    e. Passport or certificate of arrival in the U.S. showing age of the child
    f. The parent’s sworn affidavit accompanied by a certificate
    of examination from a health care provider verifying the child’s physical age
  5. Child’s immunization (shot) records

All students must reside with at least one parent or legal guardian. You will have to show proof as to being a legal guardian by an order of the court.

Your child will have to attend a school in the district where you live, or have a Homeless Affidavit, unless the child is enrolled in a program through Hillsborough Choice Options.

If you have a child receiving special education services, bringing the most recent copy of their Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be helpful.

Remember that on Monday, August 12, Hillsborough County Schools will be starting the new school year. Pasco and Polk Counties start on Monday, August 12, too. Pinellas County starts classes on Wednesday, August 14.

Be informed! Be ready! Be safe!
If you have any family law matters, such as Temporary Custody of a Minor Child by an Extended Family Member, Guardianship, Relocation, Parenting Time Issues, or Child Support problems, call Lizbeth Potts, a Tampa Family Law attorney.

About the Author

Lizbeth Potts, P.A.

Facebook Twitter

I am an experienced attorney providing legal assistance to clients who need guidance dealing with a variety of life situations. Handling each circumstance with a personalized approach, the highest level of dedication, and a compassionate demeanor, I enable my clients to make informed decisions leading to the best possible outcomes for the challenge they are currently facing.