File for a Divorce

Lizbeth Potts, P.A.Family Laws, Lizbeth Potts, P.A. Tampa Attorney Legal Articles

File for a Divorce

file for a divorce

I WANT TO File For a Divorce, in Florida?

  • My spouse and I both want to get divorced and we agree on everything:This is an uncontested divorce, which can be filed in the county where you and your spouse last lived as husband and wife. Or, if you and your spouse are in agreement, then the paperwork may be filed in a different county.
  • My spouse is living out of state and I am here in Florida. We both want to get divorced: If you have been a resident of the State of Florida for at least the last 6 months and can prove that with either a Florida state id card or driver’s license, or you have someone who can vouch for you (a corroborating witness), then you can file in the county where you live. Your spouse could also file for divorce where they are currently residing, provided they meet the residency requirements of the state where they live.
  • I want to file for a divorce, but I don’t know where my spouse is: Such a divorce could be filed in the county where you presently live, or where the 2 of you last lived as husband and wife. More on divorce by publication in a future article.
  • My spouse and I want to get divorced. We have kids:  both of you and the children reside in Florida, then the divorce should be filed in the last county where you last lived as husband and wife. If you are separated, then you should file for divorce in the county where the children have lived for at least the last 6 months.

File for a Divorce in Florida

If you have decided to get divorced one of the most important questions that needs to be answered is:

Where does the paperwork to get divorced have to be filed.

File the Paperwork for Divorce in Florida

Venue and jurisdiction rules having to do with divorce must be followed. The above are only a few of the different situations that come up regarding the selection of location to file the paperwork for divorce. Contact our Tampa Divorce Lawyer for a legal consultation.